Saturday, September 17, 2011

Junk Bonanza

Holly and I have known each other well over a year now and Thursday was our first solo mama date ever. Libby went to daycare (which was good for both of us 'cuz she was in her Bitsy mood and I wasn't feeling in the mood to deal with it) and Channing got to hang out with grandma. So we had  no kidlets, no distractions but each other. Well, and every other item we stumbled across at the sixth annual Junk Bonanza.

It was like flea market heaven for this mama. Truly an experience for anyone who likes things a little old or a little junky. The vendors had a little bit of everything, be it jewelry or furniture or old cameras or repurposed goodies (like the awesome chalkboard Holly acquired), old lockers, dishes, clothes...EVERYTHING! I'd be a little more specific, but my mind is still in overload from everything I saw. Everything I wanted. Everything I liked. And trust me...I said "Oohh I like that!" and "Oohh I want this!" WAY too  much. Just ask Holly...I think she was getting a little annoyed with me.

The pictures might help explain it a little better.

It was SO MUCH FUN! I drove home coming up with ideas in my head about how I could have used the flashcards for a reading nook or that frame for a chalkboard and a metal Chinese checker board for wall decor. (Here's hoping Grandpa still has his old one!) And trying to come up with some crafty way to use the BINGO cards everyone seemed to be selling! I know there is great potential there, I just can't decide what would be the best use!

I was too overwhelmed to buy much. I liked it all too much. I will admit, I should have bought a cute little metal cabinet when I saw it...when I went searching for it again, it was gone. Sad. But this is what I did get:

The old suitcase is for Libby's dress-up clothes. I just have to freshen it up a little bit before putting it into use...the inside has that old, antique-y smell. The metal tray will eventually get spray painted some funky awesome color and hung on the wall as a bookshelf. The top will be room decor and the letters spelling our last name...I'm not sure yet where they will end up but it will be fabulous.

Next year, I'm headed back. No doubt about it! I'm just going to have a list of things I want/need when I go, so that I (hopefully) don't get too overwhelmed by all the goodness.

Sometimes it's good to be a little junky.

love always, Kendra

0 comments:

Post a Comment