Thursday, September 8, 2011

Because Holly Told Me To

A few months ago in an e-mail, Holly from Fresh Picked says to me: "So when are you going to post a blog about making ice cream? Seems like something you and Libby would do."

Now, while I enjoy testing out my culinary skills every now and then, I have never really thought about trying to make ice cream. I would consider myself more of an ice cream eating connoisseur than an ice cream making connoisseur.

But then Libby's surgery came up and one of her post-op instructions was to eat a lot of ice cream. A LOT. Then I read a magazine article about the limitless possibilities of flavors of ice cream and it got me thinking: not only did I have a relatively relaxed activity that Libby would enjoy, but I could make any kind of ice cream I wanted. Any kind.

So here you go Holly...Libby and I made ice cream.

First we heated up some heavy cream, half and half, vanilla, and a few secret ingredients.

Then we mixed up some sugar and egg yolks.

Whipped the two together and stuck the mixture in the fridge to cool down.

Then, when we were ready for dessert one night, we poured our cream mixture into the KitchenAid Ice Cream attachment and waited to see what happened.

Before you knew it, we had some dang good homemade ice cream.

Then came the hard part...what to add to our plain ol' french vanilla to, as Emeril would say, kick it up a notch? I am not the most decisive person...did I want cookies or candy or cinnamon and peaches or some of those homegrown strawberries we'd bought at the Farmers Market? Tough decision. For me at least. Libby wanted Rolo ice cream (she is a Rolo addict!)

She was enjoying her Rolo ice cream (and whip cream) in her ice cream jammies while mama was still in the kitchen trying to decide on a flavor.

And then it happened.

Inspiration...genius...whatever you want to call it. It struck.

And before you knew it, I was making Wunderbar ice cream.

How could it have taken me so long to think of this? Ice cream and my favorite (albeit Canadian) candy bar EVER? Together?!

It was amazingly delicious. Topped it with a little chocolate sauce, a dollop of peanut butter, and enjoyed every.last.bite.

Thank you Holly!

love always, Kendra

2 comments:

Holly Flynn said...

It is absolutely and without a doubt my pleasure. Perhaps next time we can plan on doing this together. Heather Bailey has an amazing strawberry and pretzel ice cream that will tickle your culinary fancy for sure.

Alec Bruns said...

Ooh! Fun idea. Haven't done the full on homemade ice cream, but I did do this one:

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/stay-cool/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-093414

You should definitely try it. Super easy. Super delicious. And super fun to mix in whatever you like.

Post a Comment