Monday, June 27, 2011

Twenty Four Hours

The happiness of too many days is often destroyed by trying to accomplish too much in one day. We would do well to follow a common rule for our daily lives- DO LESS AND DO IT BETTER! --Dale E. Turner

Dear Dale (who, according to Google could be an actor, a soybean farmer, or...and I'm betting this is it...a reverend who wrote a religion column for the Seattle Times )
     I am thinking I need to follow this advice of yours. Now don't get me wrong, there was no happiness destroyed during the course of my day...I just think you've got a point. Too often people try to accomplish too much over the course of twenty four hours. Or, if they're me, they just do it without really intending to. So tomorrow I vow to try to do less.
Sincerely, Kendra

It was a whirlwind weekend if you ask me. Of course, whenever I'm working a 12-hour weekend stretch (especially the night shift) I always feel like I've blinked and missed a full three days. I relish the arrival of the Monday's following my weekend with open arms, delighted to have time to relax and enjoy the day.

Today was not that Monday I so love.

A quick recap of everything I have done during the twenty-four hours that made up this Monday.
  • changed approximately 12 baby diapers (a patient at work had diarrhea...delightful!)
  • gave 2 baby baths
  • enjoyed a potluck dinner (at 4 in the morning)
  • sat in morning rush hour traffic
  • cleaned Libby's room
  • unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher and sink
  • washed the pots and pans
  • read all my mail from the weekend
  • walked to the park to play
  • helped Libby eat noodle soup, her morning snack of choice
  • packed Libby's lunch
  • dropped Libby off at daycare
  • took a 4 hour nap
  • paid bills
  • picked Libby up
  • weeded the gardens
  • tried to stay dry during Libby and Jonah's water fight
  • unpacked Libby's suitcase
  • re-tidied the kitchen, living room, bathroom, and Libby's room
  • took Poppy, Jonah, and Libby out for dinner
  • mowed the lawn (I am totally counting this as my "workout" for the day)
  • watered the gardens
  • decorated the house for the 4th of July
  • put Libby to bed
  • put out the trash
  • took a shower
  • wrote a post
I am sure there were a few other things, but considering that I have only gotten a total of 4 hours of sleep since Saturday afternoon (I was up for 23 straight hours before my nap today!) I figure it's not the end of the world if I can't remember them. While an enjoyable and accomplished day, it sure was exhausting.

That being said, this mama is off to bed. Check back tomorrow...maybe I'll get a chance to tell you about the night we just danced.

love always, Kendra

0 comments:

Post a Comment