Thursday, June 23, 2011

SNORE

While Libby will probably disown me for this in about 14 years, I'm going to share this video with you. Can you believe these sounds can come out of the sweetest little girl in the world?

Yep, Libby snores. Something terrible. She didn't when she was a baby...it started shortly after she turned one. And it has gotten progressively worse ever since.

Her troubles all seem to tie in together. The fevers every 6-8 weeks, sometimes as high as 105 degrees F...the horrible, horrible halitosis (sounds so much cooler than "bad breath")...difficulty swallowing...frequent runny nose...sleep apnea...and oh yeah, that snoring. Of course, only once over the last 21 months was she ever diagnosed with tonsilitis, back in February when she had strep throat. I had even asked multiple pediatricians if her tonsils could be the result of all of her fevers.

They said no.

But guess what? I was right!

Despite the fact that Libby has been healthier in terms of colds/tonsilitis ever since her bout with strep/ear infection/pink eye earlier this year, her sleep apnea is getting to the point where I can't turn off the baby monitor at night, as I'm too afraid something terrible will happen if I do. So, yesterday I took her to see a highly recommended ENT at the University of Minnesota Amplatz Children's Hospital to see what he had to say about her symptoms. Even though our pediatrician and clinic told us they don't take out tonsils until kids are older. The beauty of good health insurance...I didn't need a doctor's referral. I made my own.

And this very nice ENT was the one who confirmed that yes indeed, all those fevers Libby has had since before she ever turned one was the result of her rather large tonsils. He also told us that while no, they don't like to take out tonsils on kids too early, sometimes it is the only cure. So in a couple of months, Libby is getting her tonsils and adenoids removed.

He almost recommended a sleep study, since she is only two, but I think he was convinced of the genuineness of my claim that she suffers from it since I came armed with videos of her sleeping, snoring, and well, occasionally not breathing. And while we wait for her day in the OR to come, we are going to try long term antibiotic therapy and some nose spray to see if it helps. He didn't sound too convinced it would, but I'll try anything at this point. (Well anything except for CPAP!)

Because she is a.) less than 3 and b.) so very tiny it will mean an overnight stay in the hospital after surgery. But as a nurse and more importantly as a parent, I'm more than okay with that. I'd rather be safe than sorry. We came home with a goodie bag full of surgical attire and hospital related things courtesy of the Child Life Specialists. Good golly these people are amazing! They came in and explained things to Libby about what would happen before her surgery and what the hospital would be like, then sent home the goodie bag so we could prepare for our hospital stay. Hats and masks, gloves and gauze, and a coloring book. Plenty to help us "play" doctor in the upcoming weeks.

It'll be good to "play" as it will hopefully distract this mama from her nerves. My poor little helpless girl going under anesthesia...in surgery...with an overnight stay in the hospital. Glad it'll be done at the hospital I work at and will know people...even more glad I've got some people in my corner who have been through this and can offer some support. Lord knows I'm gonna need it!

Off to do housework to the tune of Libby sawing logs.

love always, Kendra

0 comments:

Post a Comment