Monday, June 20, 2011

Da Tire...It Boke

Care to hear about a not-so-secret fetish of mine? I LOVE making lists. Grocery lists, to do lists, book lists...anything that has list-forming potential. Today I realized I'm pushing this love of mine onto Libby.

Last week, we actually sat down at the table and wrote down the different things she had to do before we could go to the park. It consisted of basic tasks like get dressed. Brush hair and teeth. Pack backpack for daycare. The everyday things that should be straightforward and easy, but are not when you are a toddler determined to have independence. She agreed to every task we wrote on that list and then delighted in using the big girl pen to cross of each task as it was completed. (And how could she not be delighted when that is, after all, the best part of list making?!) She was so proud of crossing off everything on her list, she insisted on bringing that piece of paper to the park. That girl is so totally my child!

Today's list was more generic. This time we counted off the tasks on our fingers.
     1. Clean our room
     2. Eat a good lunch
     3. Listen (this has been hard lately. Pull this mama's hair out hard.)
     4. Have no potty accidents.
The beauty of making these lists with Libby in the morning? She remembers them and tries oh so hard to complete our tasks. Not only did her room get tidied, but so did the kitchen, and the living room, AND the bathroom. (Notice that I said tidied, not clean.  I only had so much motivation once the sun came out.) She ate her entire lunch, which for her is pretty impressive. We managed to make it to the potty for not only number 1, but number 2 as well, a big accomplishment for her. (She was doing really well with all of it, but regressed somewhat in the last few weeks.) And well, she tried to listen. For the most part.

Our joint reward was a bike ride to the North Mississippi Regional Park. We first discovered this little beauty last summer when we attempted to go geocaching with Uncle Alec. (I say attempt because we failed miserably at the geocaching thing.) So, we packed up the bike trailer, put on our matching helmets, and set off along the Grand Rounds for the park. (Just another thing to love about this City...it's insane number of bike and walking trailers. You can see for yourself right here.)

We made it most of the way there. Yeah, that's right...I said most of the way. We made it all the way to the bike path running parallel to the Mississippi River when this happened: 
Hahaha, do you see Tinkerbell riding in the bike trailer?!

I am beginning to think I am just not supposed to be a bike rider. This is the third flat I've had since I got the bike a few months ago! And when I say flat, I mean that tire was flat. Pancake flat. Kansas flat. Pre-pubescent girl flat. You catch my drift?! Which meant that this mama, Libby, the bike, AND the bike trailer (oh yeah, and a mini-Rapunzel doll that apparently wanted to go swimming) were stranded about two miles away from home.

Cue Poppy and Uncle Jonah to the rescue. Uncle Jonah came with the car seat to give Libby and I a lift home. Poppy came with the big car to give the bike and trailer a ride to his repair shop...others may just know it as his garage. (Can I tell you how happy I am I invested in a bike trailer that folds flat in under a minute...if it hadn't been able to do that, it may not have made it home!) As a thank you, we treated them to a gourmet dinner at Libby's favorite restaurant. Yay for the Crazy Buffet! But not before we indulged in a little of this:
A nice dip in the wading pool was, after all, what we had set out to do in the first place.

Time to sign off after an exciting and exhausting afternoon. Out of dedication to mama-hood, I walked the last almost-mile to the park/pool half carrying the bike with the trailer and a 25 pound two year old behind it. I ended up with blister sores on the backs of both ankles.What a mama won't do for her little one. Especially when said little one wants her mama in the pool with her...did you know that chlorine on fresh sores hurts? Just a little bit!

Plus, I need to rest up because tomorrow we need to go shopping. I already have my list started! It goes something like this:
     *self-healing bike tube
     *spare self-healing bike tube
     *water bottle holder for bike
     *bread (kind of random, but something we need)
Hope Libby and I inspired you, flat and all, to get out your own bike and go for a ride. After all, "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." (JFK)

love always, Kendra

P.S. A special (albeit belated) shout-out to the world's most amazing dad...my own. You have always been and will always be my knight in shining armor. There are no words to describe how much you mean to me or how much I love you. And thank you, from the very bottom of my soul's heart for being such a wonderful grandfather. I thought my grandpa was the best, but I see now that there is one better...you. I am a blessed woman to be able to share my dad with my daughter. Happy Father's Day!
Libby and Poppy Father's Day 2011
Libby bought her Poppy a water table for his house. She was very excited about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment