June 21st. Also known as the Summer Solstice. Also known as the longest day of the year. Also known as the 172nd day of the year (on non leap years.) Also known as the day New Hampshire becomes the 9th state in the Union (so says Wikipedia.) Also known as...yesterday.Yesterday I decided that the official start of summer would also come to known as (at our house anyway) the start of the Great Summer Workout Challenge. Kelle Hampton inspired me with her Hello June post. Except well, I didn't read it until a few days into June. So instead, the first day of summer seemed the perfect time to challenge myself to "do something fabulous" which for me is going to be getting back into shape. It isn't so much about losing weight, although that would be nice (since I'm the only one who has gained any weight since I embarked on my quest to push Libby over the 25 pound mark)...it's about having more energy, better health, and good habits worth passing on to Libby.
Monday's bike ride (although cut short) left me feeling invigorated, as did last week's long walk and our trip to the swimming pool this weekend. And while I get a lot of movement in at work and chasing Libby around, I am more sedentary than I should be. I've realized that if I want to keep up my chocolate habit, I also need to adopt a healthier habit...like regular exercise. Regular as in: EVERY. DAY. Even on days like yesterday, when the weather couldn't decide what it should do. Or on days like today, when the temperature dropped along with the raindrops.
So, the goal is to engage in 30 minutes of real exercise every day this summer. Rain or shine. I have the tools: a new bike (with a fixed tire) and bike trailer...a summer YMCA membership...a Wii (for those days like yesterday, when tornado warnings keep us close to home.) I have the inspiration: the aforementioned blog post...a brand new swimsuit in a size I am embarrassed by (even if it is pretty cute)...a daughter with an insane amount of energy...the desire to be healthier. I can do this! I can!
Yesterday's "workout" of the day: a long walk, part of which was done with a 25 pound weight on my hip. And an unexpected dance in the rain.
Today's "workout": either Wii yoga or the start of a 30 day EA Active workout challenge + an island run. If I can't have nice weather outside, I'll make it nice inside! And since it's already so late, I should probably get going. Wish me luck!
love always, Kendra
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment