I got more than a few comments about the mouth-watering induced by my "Rhubarb" post, so I figured I better follow up. Our rhubarb baking adventure was temporarily put on hold over the weekend due to the countless hours I spent at work (try 44 out of 60 or approximately 73% of my weekend) but got back on track a couple of days ago.
And seriously, it was worth the wait. My oven popped out something oh...so...good.
Introducing: A Sweet Little Rhubarb Crisp.
Ain't she a beauty?!
After multiple hours spent searching the Internet high and low for the "perfect" rhubarb recipe, I came to the realization that it just wasn't out there. And so, taking the lives (or at least the salivary glands and digestive tracts) of my family in my hands, I made up my own.
I probably shouldn't put it so dramatically. Really, I just took bits and pieces from multiple recipes until I had something I thought sounded good. I don't know enough about baking to feel prepared enough to put together the right ratio of sugar and flour, whether to put in baking powder or soda or both, etc, etc. Through the grace of God, creator of rhubarb and all other good food, my pick and choose recipe for an out of this world fruit crisp was a success! I'm talking strawberry-rhubarb-peach (yeah, that's right peach too!) goodness topped with the most satisfyingly crisp topping.
I'll share it with you, in case you want to try.
Ingredients:
3 cups rhubarb, sliced 1/2-1 inch wide
2+ cups sliced or quartered strawberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 tsp. grated lemon peel
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt
1. Coat rhubarb with 3/4 cup of sugar and let sit for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do the same with strawberries and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar for at least 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer rhubarb to the strawberries, discarding any rhubarb juice. Add peaches (I used canned peaches with vanilla beans that I bought at the Minneapolis Farmers Market so it might not hurt to add a dash of pure vanilla if using fresh or frozen), cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, nutmeg, and salt. Stir to fully incorporate cornstarch and put into a greased 9x13 pan.
1 cup flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
10 tbsp. cold butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
3. Serve with Libby's world famous homemade whipped cream (or store bought or ice cream or whatever suits your fancy) and enjoy.
P.S. This makes a big pan, so if you don't want so much, cut the recipe in half. But you're gonna want more, so might as well make the big pan.
I'm not kidding when I say it's good. So very, very good. I even had a rhubarb hater tell me she loved it today. Oh Sweet Little Rhubarb Crisp...your sweet tart flavors make me salivate.
Gotta leave you again with mouth's a-watering, as it's time to hit the sack. I'm thinking Libby and I need to get up early and head out to the Farmer's Market in the morning. According to the e-mail they just sent me, rhubarb is the "Product of the Week" and I'm itching to get my hands on some more. Still have to try the Chicken with Rhubarb Sauce and I want to get some in the freezer for later in the season. Plus I think I need another jar of those Peaches with Vanilla Beans. They make an awesome snack!
love always, Kendra
0 comments:
Post a Comment