time she was just tiny and was enrolled in swimming lessons before she turned a year old. But the fact remains: if water is spraying, she is headed in the opposite direction.
Last summer, we left the splash pad of the Northwest YMCA shaking uncontrollably, alligator tears running down our cheeks after the evil mama (that's me) made Libby go down the waterslide. We did not return. This spring, Libby would not enter the kiddie pool of the Bemidji Hampton Inn if the water features were turned on. She has to be coaxed into running through a sprinkler for goodness sake! While I do not understand it, I've come to terms with it.
Today, we ventured up to St. Cloud in an effort to make a hot day go by quickly. I needed to stop at the world's greatest craft store and an hour drive there and back in an air conditioned car seemed like a good idea. I promised Libby we would stop and play at a playground so she could burn off some energy. A quick Google search for a good kiddie park in St. Cloud and we were on our way.
Or should I say, was. Libby showed up at that park a water feature wimp, but she left a splash pad pro.
I'm still in awe of this turn of events. I watched it all unfold over the course of two hours, and by the time we left, my mama's heart had swelled with pride and joy. My sweet baby girl overcame her fear of sprinkling, spraying water...ALL.BY.HERSELF. I just sat at the perimeter, a goofy grin on my face and my camera poised and ready.
A young girl, probably no older than 10, took her under her wing. She'd block most of the water so Libby could run through. Every time she made it through, she'd come running to me screaming "I did it! I did it! Who-ray! Who-ray!" and I'd high five her before she headed back for more. And before I knew it, she was running through streams of water and standing under watering flowers. Soaked with a huge smile on her face. She was on fire and she knew it!
Who's afraid of a little water? Not Libby. Not anymore!
This is probably one of the things I love most about being a parent. Seeing my child blossom into more and more of an amazing human being each and every day as she learns something new. How to smile, how to crawl, how to use a fork, how to make share, how to ride a tricycle, how to overcome fear. The milestones kids reach. When you're not a parent, they seem so small and trivial. I mean, how much skill does it take to lift a utensil to your mouth? But when you're a parent and it's your kid (or even a friend or family member of any kid you care for) it's different...it's like seeing an athlete win a gold medal. Every time they accomplish something new. The soul-lifting, joy-inducing pride and love and wonder you feel every time that kid learns something...there's no way to adequately describe it.
Didn't stop us. She picked out almost every size 2T swimsuit Target had in stock and then made me carry them to the nearest mirror so she could hold each one up in front of her to see how it looked. (She has seen me do that a time or two when we go shopping...guess I have no one to blame but myself.)
It was the funniest thing I have seen at Target it a long time. It was a running commentary. Every swimsuit was accompanied by either: "Dis yun is pwetty" or "Oh, dis is nice yun too!" Somehow between the two of us we weeded down the swimsuits so she only had a few to pick from. (Two pieces were cut out partly on principle but mostly because I know the bottoms won't stay up on my little peanut.) She finally picked out this polka-dotted number as her second choice. Her first choice took no consideration whatsoever. She was determined to get this polka-dotted swimsuit with a tutu no matter what. Oh, she is her Aunt Cathy's goddaughter all right.
It was late when we got home, which meant she didn't have time to model either swimsuit. But I can guarantee you come morning, rain or shine, she's gonna be wearing one of them, so here's hoping we have another day of good weather!
love always, Kendra
0 comments:
Post a Comment