Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Perfect Pumpkin

On a bit of a whim (and spurred by an article I read in the Star Tribune yesterday), Libby and I bundled up, convinced Poppy to tag along, and went in search of the perfect pumpkin this afternoon.

We hit up a new-to-us pumpkin patch this year. Scherer's Pumpkin Patch in quaint little Medina, Minnesota. I saw a hand-painted sign advertising their presence while driving out to Minnetonka Orchards for our apple-picking play date with Channing and Holly. You know, this one. Looked it up on the Internet to make sure you could actually go out into a field to pick your own pumpkin. You can. Not that there were many good ones left to pick from after our early frost and subsequent re-warming. Most of what was left in the field had been attacked by birds and bugs.

But that didn't deter Miss Libby. Nope, she set out across that field determined to find the perfect pumpkin.

And if you consider the 'perfect pumpkin' to be something akin to Charlie Brown's perfect Christmas tree well then, she found it. A tiny, oval shaped, not really a bright orange colored pumpkin that weighed a measly two pounds. And boy was she proud of it!

While it took less than five minutes for Libby to run across a pumpkin-dotted field to find her pumpkin, it took her much-less decisive mama a little longer to find her 'perfect' pumpkin. I really should go about picking out a pumpkin in a different way. Maybe if I picked out the pattern I am going to use for my pumpkin carving first, then found a pumpkin that would perfectly suit the orientation of the pattern the whole process would be easier. Instead I make up an insanely long list of requirements my perfect pumpkin must meet. You know...not too tall, not too short, consistent orange color throughout, etc, etc. (It's kinda like my perfect man wish list...impossible for any man to fulfill.)

But eventually I found one (hoping this becomes true in regards to the man thing too)...a big one. Thankfully, my sweet baby girl was more than willing to pull it around in our borrowed wagon.

No joke, those two pumpkins together weighed more than she did.


Scherer's also had a sweet little gift shop and an amazing assortment of other pumpkins and gourds to chose from. White pumpkins, blue pumpkins, even a pink pumpkin! Not to mention lots and lots of cheap pie pumpkins for this mama to bring home and turn into homemade pumpkin puree. And the owners were so very nice...didn't make us pay for Libby's 'perfect' pumpkin, volunteered to take pictures, and chatty. (We'll definitely be repeat customers!) Oh yeah, and much to the delight of an animal-loving Libby, a big black lab and three kittens looking for a home.


They did not make it home with us. Just a trunkful of pumpkins...one butternut squash...and plenty of memories.

Now to decide on that carving pattern...hmm...

love always, Kendra


1 comments:

Nicole said...

That orange kitty kinda looks like Goose!

Post a Comment