A gorgeous Monarch butterfly sitting on a leaf...at the end of October?! Kinda caught me off guard. It's a little cold for butterflies to be hanging around in Minnesota, right?
Being the uber-cool mom I like to think I am, I trapped said butterfly and kept it around until Libby got home from daycare. We examined him closely in his temporary jar house, identifying his colors, noticing how furry his body was, trying to decide where his eyes were. And then we took him out to the front steps and set him free. He was nice enough to hang around so I could snap a few pictures of his Halloween-themed beauty.
Climbed right up the railing and just hung around.
Which is exactly where we found him Wednesday morning when we got home from gymnastics.
Libby and I took pity on the poor thing, sitting there on the rail looking like he was shivering. Which means now we have a pet butterfly. For a day or two at least. Everybody, meet Judy the pet butterfly.
We brought Judy in the house on her (yep, rapid change in sexual orientation) new paper plate bed, sprinkled with grass and flowers and a few dried leaves. After a little internet research, we learned that Judy will only drink liquids, so now her plate sports a small cup of sugar water, a grape, and a few raspberries should she desire something with a little more nutritional content than just sugar water.
It took her awhile but she seemed to warm up and soon took to roaming the house. Her favorite activity seems to be climbing up my curtains. She doesn't fly much, which is okay with me. Unfortunately, her second interior flight attempt ended with a landing on Libby's sleeve, causing Libby to shake her arm in shock and sending Judy fluttering into her head. Libby was temporarily terrified of the little butterfly who dared to fly into her nose. And so now Judy has taken up residence in our guest room, where she can fly if she so chooses without bumping into humans.
Libby, despite the terrifying head bumping episode is still fascinated by her new "pet." We have discussed the possibility that Judy may be dying and she is okay with that. (We learned today that adult butterflies only live 7-10 days...who knew?) Libby is making the most of it, trying to encourage Judy to drink lots and experience the world the toddler way. Her first task was teaching Judy how to color.
I think Judy really enjoyed it.
Well, I'm off. Must see to the needs of my rambunctious three year old...and my pet butterfly. (Wow, never thought I'd be saying that!)
love always, Kendra
0 comments:
Post a Comment