When these mom-isms pop out of my mouth they are accompanied by varying emotions. Sometimes they're sobering. (i.e. Crap, I never thought she was right about that!) Sometimes they're irritating. (i.e. Man, I used to hate it when she said that to me!) More often then not, they're laughable. (i.e. Did I really just say that?!) I say them, usually to Libby, and I can't help but chuckle to myself. I spent so much time and effort when I was younger to be different than my mom and in the end, I've ended up so very much like her. And I couldn't be more proud.
It took having my own little girl to remember that as much as you spend your teenage girl years trying to be anything but your mother, you spend your little girl years trying so hard to be just like her. Lesson learned: little girls are so much smarter than hormonal teenagers.
My mom is an absolutely amazing human being. She is intelligent, funny, passionate, stubborn, an amazing storyteller, patient, trustworthy, caring, determined, and crafty. She (as much as I denied it as a teenager) influenced my decision to be a nurse, and I can only hope that one day I will be half as good a health care provider as she is. She fostered my creativity, instilled good morals, and motivated me to always do my best. And perhaps most importantly, she is the world's greatest grandma. Libby adores her, but not even a fraction as much as "Pommy" loves and adores Libby. I told you, she is amazing. That is not to say she is perfect...she's not. But that is why she is the perfect mom for me. Her flaws are how she learns how to be a better person...and in turn, how I learn.
I am so lucky to have been blessed with such an amazing mom. So totally blessed. BLESSED.
A perk to realizing you are turning (even slightly) into the amazing mom who raised you: it means you have half a chance at being a fraction as good a mom to your own kids as your mom was to you. Which is, in my opinion, a pretty awesome mother's day gift.
Happy Mother's Day to me!
More importantly, Happy Mother's Day Mom! I love you more than I could ever say.
And Happy Mother's Day to the women in my life who are my "other mothers" (Aunt Cathy, Mama Barb, and others) and to every woman, an official mom or not, who has been important in the life a child at some point in their life. You are amazing.
| Today I sported my "Moms: They're Better Than Dads" T-shirt. It's totally true, except in the case of a few select men, such as my daddy. He's totally equal in goodness as most moms. My grandpa too. |
love always, Kendra
0 comments:
Post a Comment