Friday, April 13, 2012

Castaway Cay

I found the place where I want to work when I grow up. Or so I told Libby on a perfect February afternoon as we boarded the Disney Dream after a luxurious day of fun in the sun.

Indeedy I did. Not sure how my NICU nursing experience will help me here, but that's okay. Someday folks, I'm gonna work at Disney's private Bahamian island. (Yep, Disney owns their own island.)

Welcome to Castaway Cay (pronounced Key, not Kay.) Oh what I wouldn't give to spend days upon days here, living a life of luxury with my little princess.

Without any effort on our part at all, we woke on day 3 of our cruise docked at Castaway Cay. Sun shining. Soft breeze blowing. Salty sea air enveloping your senses.

It was finally here. The day we could dedicate to sitting on a beach, frolicking in the ocean, building sand castles, and so much more. The day Libby had waited for. And it was perfect.

Castaway Cay is truly a wonderful place. True to form, Disney decorated it up, complete with a story about how castaways landed on this island and, happier than ever, decided to stay and make it home rather than leave. The ship is able to pull right up, and there is a trolley that is ready and waiting to take you to the family beach...or further along to the private adult beach. There are souvenir huts, picnic-style restaurants and bars, bathrooms, a kids only beach club (with Castmember supervision), rental facilities for tubes and boats and snorkel equipment. Not to mention long stretches of pristine white beach dotted with beach chairs and umbrellas of every color. They even have a post office. And so much more. So much more.
It's the perfect place for making memories.

Libby and I played in the sand. I am not sure I have ever walked in sand that felt so soft. We soaked up the sun. Did a little shopping. Libby took a break at the kids club, so mama took advantage of the opportunity and went down the water slides out in Pelican Bay. It was funny...walking into the water, it was a little chilly. But once you were submerged, the temperature was perfect. Those water slides...they were fun! Someday I'm going to get Libby to go down them...someday. We frolicked in the water. And, we gave each other beach sand spa treatments; it's a Libby specialty. It was a fun filled day, that was over before we knew it. While much of the island isn't developed (on purpose), there was still so much more we could have seen. It would be all too easy to spend two or three or four more days here. (Next time I'm committed to running the Castaway Cay 5K...I just need to bring someone along to watch Libby. Volunteers can apply below in the comment section.)

Castaway Cay = my kind of island paradise!

L-R, top to bottom: Beach Babe, heading out with her pail; Libby's first foray into ocean water; the view of Castaway Cay from the deck; no joke the sign read: Swim At Your Own Risk, Caution: Please be aware of possible ocean conditions which may involve but not be limited to: Sharks, Barracuda, Jellyfish, Sea Lice, Sea Urchins, Sea Anemone, Fire Coral, etc. DANGER! (love it!); Libby during her sand spa treatment; Beach Bum Mickey!; footprints in the sand; the water slides; Disney Dream docked on Castaway Cay; Libby giving me a spa treatment; one 'Hama Baby and her 'Hama Mama; smelling the flowers; sign for Castaway Cay; Goofy welcomed us back to the boat.
We weren't back onboard for long before the boat was headed (sadly) away from Castaway Cay and out to sea. Per Disney tradition, we were soon swept up in a Pirates IN the Caribbean party, complete with Pirate Captain Mickey and crew. Dinner was served by pirates (we ate at the Enchanted Garden...and it was probably one of the best meals we had on board), followed by an on-deck Pirate Party. Libby and I (and the rest of our shipmates) learned the 5 steps to being a pirate and became honorary pirates...just in time too. Captain Hook and Mr. Smee attacked the ship and tried to take over, but Captain Mickey and his crew (us too!) were able to stop him. It was pretty fun. The night finished with a pirate fireworks show...nothing like fireworks exploding over the ocean.

Check out Pirate Libby:

One more day of cruise-worthy updates coming soon. Check back!

love always, Pirate Mama




1 comments:

Holly Flynn said...

I happily volunteer to watch Libby (and Channing) while you run!

Post a Comment