Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Bon Voyage

Anyone sick of pictures yet? I hope not, because truly, we are just getting started.

Day 2 of our Disney Adventure and Libby woke with a goal: she was going swimming, come hell or high water. Nevermind that the weather was barely 60 degrees and the pool was not exactly what you would call heated...she was going in our Mighty Ducks' themed ice pond swimming pool.  And swim we did. But we weren't out of the water long before she asked me for probably the thousandth time..."Mama, are we going on Mickey's boat NOW?!"

And for the first time since we had booked the trip I was able to say "Yes Libby, we are!"

By noon we were on board our Disney Cruise Line Motorcoach, headed for Port Canaveral and the reason we were in Florida in the first place. Entertained by a movie highlighting our upcoming (and first!) cruise, it wasn't long before we were there.  In just three days we had traveled by...

...and now we were going on a boat. A really, really, REALLY big boat!
Our first good glimpse of the Disney Dream.
The Disney Dream cruise liner!

Disney has this whole customer service thing down to an art. Before I knew it we were checked in with room keys in hand and headed down the gangplank to board this magnificent vessel. I wish I could describe the awesome energy of the port terminal and our fellow vacationers, but I can't. There was a palpable excitement. Feelings I could never do justice describing. Feelings I am so excited I got to share with my baby girl.

We stepped on board the Disney Dream (at the time Disney's newest cruise ship) with an announcement that "The Disney Dream would like to welcome the Bruns Family!" And from the moment we walked through the doors, life became just a little more magical. (You know how in movies when the main character steps into the middle of someplace magnificent and some music plays to convey the awesomeness of what has just happened...I swear that is what happened the moment we walked into the grand lobby. This ship is beyond gorgeous.)

It was tough deciding what to do first. We ended up going to our room to drop off our bags (Libby wasn't the most help in carrying them), then off to lunch and a little boat exploration. Before we knew it, it was time for our mandatory evacuation drill (ours was unfortunately staged in the Walt Disney show theatre, leaving Libby terrified of the place and subsequently unable to view any of the shows there) and our Sail Away party on the main deck. We enjoyed a little free time before dinner at the Royal Palace, a beautifully decorated restaurant that plays focuses on the princesses and their leading men. The bread baskets were carriages, the napkins folded like a man's suit jacket, with a grand chandelier lighting the center of the room. We toured the Kids Club following dinner, an amazing area for kids only...although truthfully, I wouldn't have minded staying to play. They had a room devoted to Monsters' Inc., Tinkerbell's Pixie Hollow was tucked away in the corner, and Andy's Room featuring larger than life version's of some of Andy's favorite toys! Libby...she only cared about the light up dance floor, and was more than alright with being left at the club so mama could go wander. I returned to the club only to discover her at a 'dance party' in the first row, with a few counselors entranced by her attention to the choreography.

We went to bed early that first night, knowing there was much more to come. Oh I never knew how much I would love having the ocean rock me to sleep.

Here are a few pictures from the day. Enjoy! (And come back for more soon!)
L-R, top to bottom: The Disney Dream; Libby opening the door to our room 6004 for the first time; outside the Royal Palace Restaurant; looking 'chill' at the Sail Away Party; Libby grooving on the dance floor; the Sail Away Party; meeting Captain Mickey; our room, turned down by our wonderful Stateroom Hostess Kemsai
love always, Kendra


0 comments:

Post a Comment