Good morning!
So last night was Libby's first night in her big girl bed. I honestly wasn't planning on the conversion from crib to toddler bed anytime soon, considering that my little gymnast has never once tried to climb out of her crib (it's like the thought has never occurred to her!) but she asked for it. She has off and on ever since she realized her friends Channing
and Lily had them, but I wanted to put it off until after our Seattle trip. Plus, there was the emotional strain of potty training to deal with...for both of us.
So yesterday when she asked, I realized that my weekend off might be the perfect time to make the switch, considering I wouldn't have to worry about being tired at work if she wasn't sleeping through the night in her bed. And so after work, Poppy came over and helped figure out how to turn her reliable crib into a toddler bed...with built in gaurd rail. (A necessity for Libby, who is the wildest sleeper I ever met...she could be in a different position and orientation in the crib every time you go in to check on her. Head facing east, next time head facing west, and the occasional occurence of laying the short way. It is rather humourous, as long as you're not sharing a bed with her.) Once we figured out how the bed changed, it was pretty easy. A relief to know it won't take much to return it to crib state if necessary.
 |
| Libby and Poppy working hard...she insisted on turning the Allen wrench with him. He just tightened it at the end. |
And so last night, we headed off to Libby's room for our first night in the big girl bed. She was very excited, and listened quite intently when I told her that when we go to sleep in our big girl beds, the only time we get out during the night is to go potty. I wasn't sure it would hold, but considering she needed ME to get her out of bed this morning, I would say she absorbed the "rules." We had a little photo shoot in our big girl bed...Libby decided she needed her camera too. So now we have pictures of me taking pictures of her in the toddler bed.
 |
| She looks so proud of herself (and slightly goofy!) |
 |
| Getting ready to go nigh-night in the toddler bed. |
How come no one warned me it was gonna be so hard on a mama's emotions, this change from baby bed to toddler bed? It was all fine and dandy while we posed for pictures, settled in to bed (insisting on "blue" the blanket for a cover and rejecting to the brand new bedding we bought and were so excited to use), said our prayers and gave kisses good night. And it was fine while I walked away from the bed, my little girl all tucked in. It was all great until I turned around at the doorway to turn off the light and looked over to see my baby, and realized she isn't a baby anymore. Libby is a potty trained, preschool learning, extracurricular activity going, bed sleeping little girl.
And I wept.
So really, someone should have warned me that as excited as your are when your children accomplish new milestones and grow, a part of your heart breaks too as you realize that they'll never be a baby again. I mean, she'll
always be my baby, but she's growing up. And someone should have warned me that even though they're gonna sleep through the night and not seem to notice this huge milestone, the parent will be up no less than five times during the night, checking on them, putting extra blankets on the floor to pad any potential fall, and just standing and watching them as they dream. All while a little teary eyed.
 |
| She's beautiful while she sleeps. |
 |
| And she's all mine. |
P.S. She never did fall out of bed, my biggest fear. My cousin Kiki did when she was little, breaking her collar bone when she fell and landed between the bed and her nightstand. If I remember the story correctly, she slept through it, but that's not the point. I didn't want to be taking Libby to the ER at 3 a.m. for a broken anything. And so despite the lack of falling, the padding will probably remain for a few days. If only to ease this mama's mind.
0 comments:
Post a Comment