Friday, August 19, 2011

College Besties

A week ago today, Libby, Auntie Nicole, and I pulled up to a little house on the Eastern shore of Clearwater Lake for a long overdue, much needed rendezvous with six of the most important women in my life: my college girlfriends.

Tawni, Aynsley, Cindy, Nicole, Tabby, Laurie, and Helen: I am so grateful to have you ladies in my life.

I can't tell you how long it's been since we were all together as a group. It must have been years. Sure, there were times when most of us would all get together, but there was always someone missing. A casualty of growing up and moving on. We all made it to Tawni's wedding last year, except Cindy who was in Florida with an infant. (I was a surprise addition, getting the day off at the last minute and driving up without telling anyone but Aynsley.) If I remember correctly, all of the girl's were at Libby's baby shower...except Helen and Tawni who had both moved out of state. At Helen's wedding, Aynsley and Cindy were missing. And it goes on and on and on. That's life.

So early this summer, someone had the genius idea that we all set aside one weekend and promise that we'd save it for each other. We'd have a little reunion, bring along the significant others and children who have been added to our special "family" over the years. Cindy did most of the legwork, finding a cabin to rent for the weekend that was big enough for all sixteen of us. Tawni and Tabby coordinated the food acquisition. And we all traveled, be it from Miami or Minneapolis, Winnipeg or Bismarck, and areas in between, to be together. To reminisce and catch up, to laugh and relax, to be one again.

The weekend flew by. We introduced our children to each other, kids who have no choice but to be friends because their mom's are. They are the best kind of friends. We played in the lake...we fished...we sat by the campfire...we played lawn games...card games...board games...we ate good food and lots of it...we talked...we laughed...we drank (just a little, considering what we used to be able to do in college).  With just a little bit of "how is this going" or "what is happening with that", we picked up right where we left off, as if it had only been a few weeks since we'd all been together instead of a few years. Even the significant others and kids! Needless to say, we enjoyed each other's company to the fullest.
Alex caught his first fish this weekend...using Libby's Barbie fishing rod. It was the only rod that caught anything all weekend!
Helen teaching Libby how to play drinking card games.
Most intense game of CatchPhrase EVER!
Libby performing "Tomorrow" on a makeshift stage. (P.S. Dear Canadian Government, Aynsley and Mark REALLY are in love, they're not trying to pull one over on you!)


It made me think a lot about the impact these women have had on my life. Nine years ago, shyly sulking in Squires Hall, there was no way I'd have believed years down the road that I would count some of these women as my best friends. Heck, the first few times I interacted with Tabby I thought she hated me! And here I am, kind of grown-up and so lucky to know these girls. Because the are the best kind of friends. They are the people who know some of my deepest, darkest secrets and they love me anyway. Some of the things that have happened between us, that we've learned about each other...it's the kind of stuff that can drive people apart. But we've stuck by each other and our lives are richer for it. They are the type of friends that you might not talk to for days or weeks or months, but the second you needed anything they would be there for you...and making sure the others are too.
It made also made me think about the kind of friend they deserve to have. Admittedly, I am probably the worst one at keeping in contact with just about anyone. These college besties of mine...the girls from high school...my cousins...the list goes on and on and on. I honestly believe I could be a better friend if I checked in more often, remembered to congratulate them on important days, made sure to drop a random note to let them know I'm thinking about them. Somehow, in my busy life, between work, and Libby, and housework, and crafting, I need to find the time for my friends, because without them I wouldn't be me. (And I like being me.) I need to strive to listen more, remember more, love them more. They deserve it because dude, I got me some GREAT friends.

Thank you girls (and husbands and boyfriends and kidlets) for amazing weekend. I can't wait to do it again!

In honor of my college besties, I will share with you a favorite memory of each one (in alphabetical order).

Aynsley: This is a tough one, because if you've met Aynsley you know what a truly amazing character she is. Our sophomore year of college, I gave her a Barbie karaoke machine complete with pink microphone. She was so excited she cried, then performed "Bye, Bye, Bye" complete with dance moves in our living room.
Cindy: Two words for this one...Zach Parise. Amazing hockey player, whom we both had a major crush on, and spent more than one night stalking around Grand Forks in the hopes of becoming his girlfriend.

Laurie: This is the woman who put a roof over most of our heads sophomore year. One morning, when my it was too cold for my car to start, she agreed to give me a ride to school. Somehow when I went and started her car so it would warm up, I accidentally locked it with the only set of keys on the inside. Neither of us made it to our morning class.
Nicole: Too many to count. Only Nicole would console me when I discovered that cheap Long Island Tea mix had my much-loathed tequila in it, then find a pen and cross it off of the ingredients list so it was okay for me to keep drinking. You are my baby's second parent (in a very non-lesbian way) and I can never repay you for that.
Tabby: Again, too many to count. She invited me out after my grandma died to get my mind off of things, then held me while I cried when a friend unknowingly asked my forlorn face "Hey who died?!" Tabby is the glue that holds us all together.
Tawni: She was the first one to find out I was pregnant...I descended upon her apartment and hid in her bathroom taking test after test after test just to be sure. And she was the one who convinced me everything would be okay...because they were all going to be there for me. And she was right.

Wishing I was back on Clearwater, sitting around a table with each and every one of them.

love always,
Kendra

0 comments:

Post a Comment